History of Ansty
Brewery Farm's name originates from the time when Ansty was the home of the Hall and Woodhouse Brewery.
Charles Hall, born in 1751, was a farmer's son and in common with tradition was taught both brewing and farming. Ale was provided by farmers for their workers as a wholesome refreshment. Charles decided that his future lay in brewing and founded the Ansty Brewery in 1777.
Production was quickly expanded when the young brewer secured a contract to supply ale to the Army encamped on the coast near Weymouth at the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Longer term business was built up distributing ales to inns and taverns in the town and villages around the Ansty Brewery. In 1847 Robert Hall, the founder's son, took George Woodhouse into partnership and George astutely married one of Charles' granddaughters. The name Hall & Woodhouse had begun.
The Hall and Woodhouse Brewery is now situated in the Georgian town of Blandford Forum, just 20 minutes from Ansty. For more information, visit the Hall and Woodhouse website. www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk
The Fox Inn, situated just opposite Brewery Farm is the former family home of the Woodhouse and still serves the famous Hall & Woodhouse Badger beers today as well as good home-cooked food and the well known Sunday carvery. www.foxinnansty.co.uk